top of page

Tok Raja - A Recollection by Uncle George Neo

Uncle George Neo who is more fondly known as “Uncle George” was born on 7th November 1927 in Singapore. He was 86 years old as in 2013. He is one of the last surviving lay disciples of Tok Raja. Uncle George came to know Tok Raja in the early 1950s through a nun popularly known to many as "Mae Chi". A more detailed account of the chance encounter by Uncle George with this nun shall be given later. This encounter has karmic consequences which resulted in Mae Chi's introduction of Tok Raja to Uncle George. It in turn changed and impacted the life of Uncle George and connected him to many others related to Tok Raja. This finally linked Uncle George to the late Phor Than Chan (the successor to Tok Raja) and the late Phor Than Mitr (the nephew of Tok Raja) who finally became the first Chief Abbot of Wat Uttamayanmuni at Choa Chu Kang after its completion. Uncle George is now the Patron and also the Trustee of Wat Uttamayanmuni.


In the early 1950s, Tok Raja adopted Uncle George as his godson. He travelled often to Wat Uttamaram of Bangset village in the district of Pasir Mas, Kelantan to visit his godfather and famous Buddhist Master Tok Raja. As for Tok Raja, he did travel to Singapore to visit Uncle George and other disciples and followers. In those days, the travels were arduous as they were usually by mean of long hours car or train rides. Uncle George also accompanied Tok Raja when he visited other temples and homes of disciples and followers in Malaysia and Singapore. Through Uncle George's long association and very personal interaction with Tok Raja, he got to know Tok Raja well and therefore was able to recollect and give an interesting first hand and personal account of Tok Raja.


Under Tok Raja's explanation and encouragement, Uncle George decided to be ordained by Tok Raja himself as a Buddhist monk around 1959 in Wat Uttamayanmuni. Tok Raja explained to Uncle George that it would be good for him to be a Buddhist monk to transfer merits to his deceased parents and Uncle George quickly understood the importance of this deed. Also, Uncle George was very grateful to be alive after the Japanese Occupation as he nearly lost his life under Japanese atrocities. In appreciation, he thought it was a good idea to be a monk. He also decided to be a monk to honour his Tok Raja as his godfather and Master. In respect of such ordination, Phor Than Mitr was Uncle George's Upacha (i.e. Preceptor) and he shaved Uncle George's head and Phor Than Chan was appointed his Dharma Master. Uncle George became a Buddhist monk for a period of 4 weeks. He could not extend the period of his monkhood because he could not go on extended leave and had to return to work in Singapore for the government service. It is during Uncle George’s monkhood in Wat Uttamaram that he even got closer to Tok Raja as he lived in Tok Raja's quarters and followed and accompanied Tok Raja throughout. For photographs of Uncle George's ordination as a Buddhist monk at Wat Uttamaram, please see Photo Gallery.


At this juncture, it is interesting to set out below Uncle George's personal account of what he saw, witnessed and experienced in relation with Tok Raja and those important people around who supported him. It is Uncle George's intention to share his interesting account and fond memories with all others who did not live in the era of Tok Raja. Tok Raja was born on 1st December 1876 and he passed away on 19th November 1962. As the value of Tok Raja's humpback pidta amulets and his other talismans becomes so high, many unscrupulous and deceitful dealers and collectors start to make bizarre claims that they have personally known, seen and met up with Tok Raja or that they were Tok Raja's direct disciples or that they have personally received from Tok Raja his very famous and popular humpback pidta amulets and other talismans. These claimants can easily be exposed by merely considering the said dates of Tok Raja's birth and death; the age of such claimants and the date such claims is made. By way of illustration, just simply take the year of 2013 and you will know such claimants cannot be telling the truth if they younger than 51 years old (i.e. from the date of death of Tok Raja till 2013 the minimum age of the claimant is only 51 years). With such age of 51 (i.e. just being born at the date of death of Tok Raja), these claimants cannot possibly have anything constructive or positive to do with Tok Raja. By the same measure, any claimants in fact below the age of 51 years were not even born as at the date of the death of Tok Raja and so they shall be caught telling lies! Even if the claimant's age was 61 years old as at 2013, he was only 10 years old at the time of death of Tok Raja and not much can be believed from such claimants. To be believable, the claimants must be way above the age of 61 years old as at 2013! If the claimant was an adult of 21 years old when he first met Tok Raja on the year of his death, the claimant must be 72 years age as at 2013! Just play around with such relevant year of birth and death and relevant dates and figures, you will not be far from wrong in your assessment of any claimants!


The Chance Encounter With Mae Chi:


During World War II, Uncle George worked as a policeman and one of his tasks was registration of rice coupons. One hot day while on duty, he noticed a young woman with a crying baby in the queue. Out of compassion, he sought the permission of the people in front to allow the young woman to jump the queue and subsequently helped her with the registration for the rice coupons.


About a year later, after the Japanese had surrendered, while walking along a street Uncle George was interrupted by a car tooting at him. He turned around to look and saw a woman in a Mercedes Benz car waving and beckoning him to come forward. He went near to the car and the woman asked if he used to work as a policeman at certain station during the Japanese Occupation. After a short conversation, the woman told Uncle George that she was in fact the young woman with the crying baby and she did not forget the kindness accorded by Uncle George to her. This woman was in fact “Mae Chi” before she was ordained a nun! Her lay name given by her parents is "Lau Yen Hong". Mae Chi is a Teochew by dialect.


At the material time, Mae Chi was quite well off as her husband was a rice merchant. She experienced the Japanese Occupation and she understood the suffering and plight of the people and the pain and desperation of poverty. She was therefore generous and gave money and rice to the needy and poor. At that time, Mae Chi (still then a layperson) was very pious and a firm believer of Thai Buddhism and she gave generously to support and maintain Thai Buddhist monks. Being originally a Malaysian (subsequently a Singaporean) and possibly born in Muar, Mae Chi naturally came to know Tok Raja who was already a very famous Thai Buddhist monk in Malaysia actively promoting and spreading Thai Buddhism. She made frequent visits to see Tok Raja to receive instructions and his blessings. In early 1950's, Mae Chi invited Uncle George to meet Tok Raja to receive his blessing when he visited Singapore and stayed at a flat in Tanjong Katong. This was how Uncle George came to know and be connected to Tok Raja. After Uncle George's first meeting with Tok Raja, Uncle George out of respect and care for Tok Raja actually accompanied Tok Raja back to Wat Uttamaram to ensure his safe return.


Mae Chi actually confided in Uncle George of her intention to renounce the world and to be ordained as a Buddhist nun. She felt that this was the best way to serve the community. She was finally ordained by Tok Raja in Wat Uttamaram a few years after World War II. Uncle George believes she was ordained sometime in and around 1958. She was given the ecclesiastic name of "Sriwan". Mae Chi passed away in May 2001. She had a sister called Lau Gek Hong and she was also ordained as a nun by Tok Raja but she later disrobed and got married. She too has passed away now.


Physique Of Tok Raja:


Uncle George remembers Tok Raja to be quite tall and having a big and strong body. He was about 6 feet tall and had very strong arms and legs. In particular, he had big squarish-like hands and feet which are clear and natural signs of good cultivation and high measure of attainment according to the observation and explanation given by the late Arjan Udom (a famous Singapore lay-disciple of an equally famous Luangpu Lindum of Wat Naka, Kedah, Malaysia popularly known as "Or Chi" - The Black Tongue Monk). Arjan Udom revealed that Buddhist monks with big squarish hands were born with the natural capacity or ability to toil hard or that they have acquired such hands after years of toiling and suffering and as for big squarish feet, such monks were born with the natural capacity or strength to walk and cover great distance or that they have acquired such feet after years of cultivation through walking! Likewise, it is to be noted that Luangpu Lindum also had big squarish hands and feet!


Uncle George also recalls an interesting thing about the ears of Tok Raja - there were lots of hair growing out of the ear canal of both of Tok Raja's ears! This is the same for the ears of another famous Thai Buddhist Monk called Than Pow who also hailed from Kelantan . It is unusual for Thai or Chinese persons to have such dense hair growth for the ear canals. Apparently, it is also a sign or indication that such persons who have them shall be capable of great accomplishments or cultivation.


As for the face of Tok Raja, he had indeed a very fierce, strict and stern demeanor. When posing to take photographs, he was always his natural self and never pretending to break into smile for photography session. Not intending to be disrespectful, some have likened the face of Tok Raja to that of a bulldog. Uncle George said that those who had come into contact with Tok Raja knew that he was actually very gentle, pleasant and kind. He was never harsh. He had always been friendly, accommodating and obliging. He spoke very good Malay, Thai or Hokkien. He spoke in a manner always showing his great warmth and hospitality to all his visitors and followers and giving comfort and assurance to all those who were in pain and desperation. He was very quick and ready to help those who come to his Temple to seek spiritual assistance and guidance and also for cures. He did not see the amount or size of angpow to do chanting or to give blessing. He did not touch money and he directed any and all contributions to be put into donation box for the general upkeep of monks and maintenance of Temple. As such, Tok Raja came across to all of his visitors, followers and disciples as a Buddhist monk with very commanding stature and having a big and compassionate heart to serve them and also having great ability to render them help and solve their needs. This is so even after his demise! Lay persons and even monks must learn and emulate the commendable and proper behavior and conduct of Tok Raja as a holy monk.


The Meeting Of Uncle George & Tok Raja With Luangpu Lindum Of Wat Naka, Kedah (aka Or Chi - The Black Tongue Monk):


Many must have heard of another equally famous Thai Buddhist Master from Kedah in West Malaysia who is and was affectionately known as "Or Chi" - The Black Tongue Monk. In a meeting with Luangpu Lindum during a consecration ceremony at Penang, West Malaysia around May1959, the overwhelming curiosity of Uncle George on whether Luangpu Lindum's tongue was indeed black in colour took the better of his judgment. This curiosity must have gathered and accumulated over for a long period of time and it was so pent-up that time that Uncle George could contain no more. He saw this as his moment and opportunity to seek an answer from Luangpu Lindum over his deep curiosity. Uncle George then plucked up enough courage and, sandwiched between Tok Raja and Luangpu Lindum and in the presence of other visitors, he asked Luangpu Lindum directly whether his tongue was indeed black in colour. Luangpu Lindum was not annoyed or angry. Luangpu Lindum did not give Uncle George a verbal trashing. Neither did Tok Raja who subsequently told Uncle George in a pleasant manner not to be rude in future. What Luangpu Lindum did later was to simply extend his tongue deep down for Uncle George to see and satisfy his curiosity. The answer: "Yes, it is truly black in colour!"


Both Luangpu Lindum and Tok Raja have very strict and stern facial demeanor but in reality, they were so soft, gentle and kind. They were never harsh to anyone. They were always accommodating. In the presence of two such great and powerful Thai Buddhist Masters, most would have been tongue-tight and lost composure and even evil spirits would have scrambled off immediately in their presence and let alone, out of sheer curiosity, asked personal question to know the tongue's colour of a big and famous monk!


Luangpu Lindum is known to be able to prophesise very accurately on matters when disciples or followers came to consult him for guidance. His ability on divination is legendary. It is said that such of his psychic power and ability came about by virtue of his black tongue and pure cultivation. He was known not to care about money and he threw money notes given to him by his followers into his backroom and allowed white ants to feed on them. When a burglar could not reach for the donation box in his Temple, Luangpu Lindum used his foot to push it near to the burglar so that he could obtain the money to help his ailing mother which he knew through his psychic ability. Both Tok Raja and Luangpu Lindum are both pure Dharma cultivators adhering strictly to Vinaya Rules (i.e. The Code of Conduct for Theravada Buddhist Monks). It is no wonder that they were able to make very good and powerful amulets and talismans to bless and protect their disciples and followers.


The Stirring Of Bubbling Herbal Oil Boiling Under Intense Heat & Fire:


Unknown to many, Tok Raja was a great herbalist. He must have gathered and acquired such herbal knowledge through his years living within nature and during long cultivation in forest. In the old days, Buddhist monks, apart from spiritual practice, were consulted too over physical ailments and sickness and they dispensed holistic medicine through their knowledge on herbs. As a matter of interest, medicine is not their only forte. They were approached by disciples and followers for over almost everything under the sun. To the surprise of many, Buddhist monks were consulted even on matters such as disputes resolution and settlement; getting jobs; getting promotion; getting a place to study in school; match-making; marriage; procuring a place to do business, etc. They are indeed mundane matters but Buddhist monks assisted because their occupied and continue to occupy a place which commanded authority and respect. As such, people from the village and city listened to them as they are and were their Arjan (i.e. respected Teacher).


Now back to Tok Raja being a true herbalist. He would gathered herbs and he would occasionally put them in a cooking pot with oil to boil and simmer under wood fire in order to extract every essence of the herbs. The boiling process would take a while and there would be the need to stir during the process especially when the oil is simmering and bubbling. The heat would be most intense when the oil bubbled. On one occasion in 1958 at the home of one of Tok Raja's disciples in Kuala Lumpur, Uncle George visited Tok Raja and he was actually preparing his herbal medication through the same boiling process. Uncle George could see that the oil was bubbling under the intense burning of firewood below the pot. Tok Raja then instructed Uncle George to help him stir the bubbling oil in the boiling pot. Uncle George naturally looked around for a stick or spoon to effect the stirring. Not able to find one in the make-shift shed, he asked Tok Raja where he could find one. Tok Raja replied to Uncle George in Malay, "Use your hand to stir". Uncle George immediately lost his nerve and told Tok Raja that the oil was bubbling hot! Tok Raja said to him in a reassuring manner again in Malay: "Don't worry, it is okay. Just use your hand to stir". Not to show disobedience and disrespect to Tok Raja and more so, not to reveal that he had lost his nerve, Uncle George did what Tok Raja instructed. He inserted his right hand into the pot of bubbling oil with hot fire burning below the pot. To Uncle George's surprise, he felt a cooling and pleasant sensation on his right hand when he so inserted this right hand into the pot to stir the bubbling oil. He right hand was not burnt at all! Uncle George was so relieved and never forgot this incident at all! Uncle George still keeps some of such herbal oil till this day.


An Employee of V.J. Motors Of Kuala Lumpur:


In 1958 a male Chinese employee of V. J. Motors of Kuala Lumpur was possessed by evil spirit. The employer was told that Tok Raja had the power to exorcise and help his employee. He then sent his spiritually sick employee to Kelantan by train to seek the help of Tok Raja. This employee had to be tied up throughout his train journey from Kuala Lumpur to Kelantan because he was very violent. When he arrived at Wat Uttamaram, Uncle George so happened to be there. About 50 lemons were cut open and Tok Raja wrote yantra and holy Khom characters on them and then placed them into a wash basin. Tok Raja did prayer and chanting on the lemons and then they were used to rub all over the head, face, body, hands and legs of the employee by 4 “Bomoh” assistants of Tok Raja. The employee soon became calm and quiet and fell asleep. The next day this employee got up wondering why he was in a Temple. He was told the reason and he forthwith went to pay respect to Tok Raja and to personally thank him for rendering help and blessing. On the employee's return trip from Kelantan to Kuala Lumpur, the same Malay Train Master (who also first observed him on his original train journey from Kuala Lumpur to Kelantan) noted that this occasion the employee was no longer violent.


The Possessed Chinese Girl From Kota Bahru:


In 1959 a Chinese girl from Kota Bahru who was possessed was sent to Wat Uttamaram to seek spiritual help from Tok Raja. Uncle George was there at the material time to witness the incident. This girl was very hysterical. Tok Raja observed her and was told that she became hysterical immediately after eating the watermelon she bought. Tok Raja then chanted and used holy water to splash her all over. As the holy water touched her body, she squirmed and screamed and she repeatedly pleaded: "No! No!" After a while, she stopped being hysterical and was able to stand up fully recovered from her lying down position on the floor. She thanked Tok Raja and returned home.


Tok Raja's Wish To Have A Temple In Singapore:


Tok Raja expressed his wish to have a temple in Singapore. In 1962, Tok Raja was invited by his follower to visit Singapore to treat an ailing family member. Accordingly, he came to Singapore. On this fateful trip, he traveled by taxi to the hospital for such visit of the ailing family member. He was accompanied in the taxi by Uncle George, Mae Chi Sriwan and Phor Than Mitr (nephew of Tok Raja). However, en route the petrol for the taxi ran short and a detour had to made to go to a former Shell petrol station at the junction of Dunearn Road and Farrer (now built with Serene Centre) to pump petrol. The operator of this petrol station was a Chinese man. When he saw Tok Raja and the other 2 members of the Holy Order, he came out to greet them and said to Tok Raja that he wished to offer a piece of his land at Chao Chu Kang to build a temple with a Reclining Buddha. Tok Raja accepted the offer. This generous and kind man is none other than Mr. Tan Kay Huat! A portrait of Mr. Tan Kay Huat is in the Photo Gallery. A few months after such acceptance, Tok Raja passed away.


The rest is history with the final fulfillment of Tok Raja's wish to have a temple in Singapore. Phor Than Mitr was entrusted with the duty and responsibility to build the temple with funds donated from devotees and well-wishers. This temple is called Wat Uttamayanmuni. This name is derived by combining the relevant part of 2 names which are namely: Wat Uttamaram (which is the name of Tok Raja's temple in Kelantan) and Tok Raja's ecclesiastic name of Phra Wijarayanmuni. This name is given basically to honour Tok Raja and to show its relation with and its link to Tok Raja and his temple in Kelantan.


This incident illustrates the sowing of karmic seed and the coming into fruition of the conduct and actions of 2 important persons - one from the Sangha (Buddhist Order) and the other a lay person with such generosity and kindness. Without they making their respective wishes and without their chance and fateful meeting and also without the taxi running short of petrol, Wat Uttamayanmuni would not have been built. This was simply destiny and karma. It must be the blessing of the Lord Buddha!


A Special Note Of Appreciation & Gratitude To Mr. Tan Kay Huat:


Mr. Tan Kay Huat is a man of magnanimity and compassion who offered his land to Tok Raja to construct Wat Uttamayanmuni. Uncle George together with other well-wishers take this opportunity by this website to make a special mention of Mr. Tan Kay Huat to express their profound appreciation and gratitude to an important person without whom there could be no Wat Uttamayanmuni in Singapore. Uncle George personally feels that it is very important to record and make known this fact and the contribution of Mr. Tan Kay Huat.


May Mr. Tan Kay Huat and his descendants be blessed with great merits!


Great Supporters & Donors Of Tok Raja & Phor Than Mitr For Wat Uttamaram & Wat Uttamayanmuni:


There must be mention of such supporters and donors lest with the passing of time, their important names and contributions shall be forgotten. Some of whom Uncle George could remember as key supporters and donors are Mr. Koh Bock Thye, a certain Mr. Chua who was the previous towkay of Cycle and Carriage, Mr. Eu Keng Ngo (Richard Eu's brother) also known as "Ah Kau", Mr. Soh Kim Kang, Mr Seet Teck Tuan and Mr. Goh Koon Wee.


In particular, Ah Kau who was also Tok Raja's godson gave generously to the costs and expenses of the retaining wall and the construction of Wat Uttamaram. Apart from giving money, Mr Goh Koon Wee fried vegetarian bee hoon without fail almost every weekends till his demise for visitors at Wat Uttamayanmuni and even traveled to Kelantan to help Tok Raja at Wat Uttamaram to cook during festive occasions. Mr. Goh's demise left many to miss his delicious and fragrant fried vegetarian bee hoon!


There is a need to mention Mr. Eric Pegler and Mr. Tan Thian Lai who helped to do ensure that all the paper works were in good order in order to import from Thailand into Singapore the large Buddha for installation at Wat Uttamayanmuni.


Last but not the least, Uncle Khoo who had helped to stimulate the interest of Tok Raja's amulets and talismans and the fond memories of Tok Raja long after the demise of Tok Raja.


Effort To Keep Official Record Of Special Amulets & Talismans Made & Given By Tok Raja For Authentication Purposes:


Uncle George and his friends have tried to trace and track down the special amulets, Takruts and other talismans given by Tok Raja to the above mentioned persons. The purpose of this exercise was to keep an official record of such pieces so that later generations could refer to them for authentication purposes. These pieces have good provenance as they were direct gifts from Tok Raja and there can be no dispute of their authenticity. Unfortunately, this exercise bore no great success. Even then, we are happy to secure some and in particular a "2505" Ton Rak amulet with the image of Tok Raja on the obverse and with "Namo Putaya" yantra on the reverse personally given by Tok Raja to Mr. Goh Koon Wee which is kept by his second son Mr. Goh Pit Ghee. Also, we managed to secure for publication a rare and unusual belt-style Takruts made with 16 sections of copper sheet Takruts from Ricky Wu who is the son of Charlie Wu (one of the godsons of Tok Raja).


Fortunately, Uncle George still retained some of the special pieces given by Tok Raja to him. He gladly gave permission for photographs to be taken of them in order to share with others and to show what are the real and special pieces made by Tok Raja through this website.


Theft Of Uncle George's Humpback Pidta Amulets & Talismans:


Uncle George had many special pieces of amulets and talismans given by Tok Raja. However, through the years he had given away many out of his generosity and kindness. However, quite a few were stolen from Uncle George when he kindly passed round to show them to certain people in the temple who wished to know what the real Tok Raja pieces look like. They misappropriated in the process and Uncle George only realised it too late as he was too trusting and never thought that people would want to break the fundamental Buddhist Precept of "Do Not Steal". Still there are those who simply refuse to return to Uncle George after he loaned them when such person were in desperate need to seek real Tok Raja's pieces for protection and blessing. It is still theft or misappropriation and clearly a violation of the said Buddhist Precept as they retain them without Uncle George's permission. Further, there are those who are very crafty and cruel as they claimed that they have lost Uncle George's special Tok Raja's pieces on loan to them when in reality they cunningly retained them without Uncle George's permission. It is still wrongful and clearly a violation of the same Buddhist Precept.


It is no good taking, keeping, retaining or stealing anything from another person. More so when such are in fact religious objects made as amulets and talismans! As they were received or kept without the permission of the rightful owner Uncle George and in violation of the fundamental Buddhist Precept of "Do Not Steal", these amulets and talismans are in reality rendered empty, powerless and useless and void of any efficacy and benefits! What is most scary is that the violators have to answer for their own wrong doings and karma and to must accept severe punishments in consequence. Also, they have to face the wrath of Tok Raja which would certainly be very unpleasant and grave after knowing the powerful thunderbolt that burned and destroyed the special "Ton Rak" tree in Wat Uttamaram!


The Power Of The Silver Pen-Like Tongkat Of Tok Raja:


Tok Raja gave to Uncle George a silver Pen-Like Tongkat (see Photo Gallery) soon after he disrobed as monk at Wat Uttamaram. Tok Raja also taught him the katha (secret prayer) for use in connection with such Tongkat. In 1995, a woman came to see Than Mitr for help. Uncle George was around at the time. This woman had a big swelling on her neck as if she had inflammation of thyroid gland. She complained of extreme discomfort and agitation. Uncle George subsequently took out his silver pen-like Tongkat for use by Phor Than Mitr. He placed the Tongkat on the swelling of her neck. Phor Than Mitr then invoked the name of Tok Raja to help this woman in distress and he chanted the same katha for such Tongkat. The same woman later on returned to thank Phor Than Mitr and Uncle George because her swelling slowly reduced to full recovery.


Ring from Tok Raja:


Tok Raja made some copper rings during his lifetime with the holy Khom characters of "Ark Sang Wi Suk Lo Pu Sak Pu Pak" cast on the outer side or surface of such rings. They may look simple and ordinary but they are in fact extraordinary. Uncle George related an incident about such ring. Some years back, he was stung by a bee and the pain was excruciating. He recalled the instructions given by Tok Raja to apply the ring by placing it on the bite spot and recite the same katha continuously for relief. The pain soon after was gone and the swelling reduced to full recovery.


Loop Oms Of Tok Raja:


Tok Raja made Loop Om which are small ball-shaped talismans made from the latex or sap of the "Ton Rak" tree of Wat Uttamaram mixed with dried flower and other holy ingredients. Examples are illustrated in Photo Gallery. Many Loop Oms were made in mid 1950s. Tok Raja gave instructions that in time of dangers one is to insert this Loop Om in the mouth to seek protection. Tok Raja also instructed that Loop Om could be used to enhance Metta (Loving Kindness) by putting in one's mouth and seeking for the fulfillment of a wish. Metta is very important to have for any person. This is because without Metta, a person will always meet with lots of obstacles and obstructions in one's path and unnecessary confrontation, ill-will and hostility and therefore cannot be successful. The Lord Buddha has discoursed on the Metta Sutra and he stressed on the importance and benefits of Metta. With Metta, one creates goodwill and friendship and one can consequently interact with another person with ease and comfort; doors are open and success is made easier and within reach. It is because of this that many businessmen and those who worked for the government service came to Tok Raja to seek for Loop Om so that they could be well-liked by others. By being well-liked, businessmen can then secure more business or projects and increase their wealth and civil servants can secure higher promotion. The tradition of making Loop Om still continues by other famous Thai Buddhist monks and all is not lost if one cannot secure Tok Raja's!


Tok Raja loved to make them using latex from Ton Rak tree in Wat Uttamaram and mixed with other holy materials. In addition for empowerment, he would use kite paper to write tiny Khom sacred characters on it to make many small paper Takruts. Uncle George recalled that Tok Raja would use a large piece of kite paper to draw numerous small standard size boxes in which Tok Raja would then write Khom sacred characters. Uncle George helped Tok Raja by cutting the kite paper according to the small boxes drawn by Tok Raja into small pieces of paper Takrut. Uncle George then helped Tok Raja by inserting the paper Takruts into the Loop Oms and some into Pidtas. Uncle George would take them out for drying under hot sun and returned them back to Tok Raja’s altar table for his further chanting. Tok Raja would chant for 3 Pansas (Retreats) before giving them away to his devotees.


A Special Experience With Tok Raja Loop Om:


Uncle George wishes to share an experience of Tok Raja's loop om. He was instructed by Tok Raja to place a loop om made of herbs and latex in his mouth when he wishes to have or secure metta (loving-kindness). This he did. Unfortunately, he accidentally swallowed it. He panicked not because he had swallowed a foreign object but more so, he feared to have lost the important loop om specially made by Tok Raja for him. He waited till following morning hopeful that the loop om would be passed out intact. He accordingly searched earnestly but he was disappointed. The loop om was not to be found. Of course, Uncle George was dejected to have lost the important loop om which was a special gift from Tok Raja as at the material time, Tok Raja had already passed away. However, Phor Than Mitr cheered Uncle George up. He explained that the loop om was dissolved into Uncle George's body and as such, Uncle George would still be blessed by Tok Raja with his loop om! What an excellent explanation to comfort Uncle George! The pain hurt no more.


Tok Raja's Robe:


See Photo Gallery for a piece of Tok Raja's robe which he wore when alive. Phor Than Mitr specially wrote yantra and holy Khom characters on this piece of robe. Previously, it was a much larger piece of robe but over the years, it was cut and given away to various other followers of Tok Raja who wish to keep a part of his memory close to the heart and body. Many who have received a small section of Tok Raja's robe reported that they managed to avoid dangers and troubles and they have also felt a lot of goodwill and friendship when interacting with other people. Tok Raja's robe is the nearest thing one could relate and be close to him. It is little wonder that these people have wonderful experience and feeling when having such robe!


Tok Raja's Lay Masters As His Assistants:


Tok Raja had 6 key lay masters to help him. In common parlance, they are called "Bomoh" but this is a misnomer. In reality, they are lay masters performing "white" magic and rituals to dispel evil, break spells, clear black magic, perform exorcism, etc. This is opposite of what are an evil bomoh would have done traditionally to harm and hurt others. These 6 lay “Bomoh” masters are Chao Koon, Chao Kuan, Chao Yen, Chao Rad, Chao Sook (brother of Phor Than Mitr) and Chao Pud. Other than the fact they were all students of Tok Raja, they are somehow related to each other by kinship. For want of better and exact expression, they should be called or described as “Mo” just like in Thailand which basically means "White Magic Doctor". The expression "Chao" in Kelantan is a respectful expression for a person who once had been a Buddhist monk. See Photo Gallery for images of Chao Kuan and Chao Yen. After the demise of Tok Raja, Chao Kuan continued with the making of humpback pidta amulets and Tongkats using the same method and incantations of Tok Raja. Unfortunately, Chao Kuan has now passed away. Other of Tok Raja's disciples also made such pidta amulets using the same method and materials after Tok Raja's demise and that is why it is so difficult to authenticate what are Tok Raja's and what are not. At least for the latex material, the original source came to an end after the destruction of the “Ton Rak” tree in Wat Uttamaram around 2003 or 2004 from which Tok Raja secured the latex as one of his prime materials to make his own style of humpback pidta amulets and other talismans.


Uncle George's Near-Fatal Fall From Staircase:


In 2009 Uncle George was living in Melbourne with his son and family. They lived in a 2-storey house. His bedroom was on the upper floor. One night he woke up as he was thirsty. From his watch, he saw that the time was 1.30 am in the wee hours. He wanted to go downstairs to the kitchen for a drink. Unfortunately, he slipped on the staircase and he tumbled down to the ground floor knocking his head against the wall. He laid unconscious for at least an hour as when he regained consciousness, he saw the clock to be 2.30 am in the early morning. Uncle George said that it was actually Tok Raja who woke him. He saw the vision of Tok Raja and he heard Tok Raja's voice urging him in Malay, "Bangun, bangun, George!" (i.e. Wake-up, Wake-up, George!) and so he got up. He climbed up the staircase after his drink and applied Tok Raja's herbal oil on his head and neck to give relief and then went to sleep. In the morning, Uncle George's wife questioned him why he kicked the wall as there was a big dent or depression on the wall where Uncle George knocked his head against the wall. Uncle George explained what happened to him in the night. By looking at the size of the said dent or depression, Uncle George and his wife knew that he was lucky to be alive. If it was someone else, it may be death by broken neck or head or even paralysis. Subsequently, Uncle George went to the hospital for check-up and scanning of his head and neck and they confirmed that Uncle George was indeed lucky too be alive. There were in fact neck and spine injuries which needed operation. The doctor advised that if operation was not done, it would be certainly be in due course paralysis from head downwards or even death for Uncle George. There was only 40% chance of success for the operation because Uncle George was at that time 82 years old; he was diabetic; and the operation was difficult and complex. In any event, failure of the operation would mean paralysis or death. Uncle George decided to go for the operation. During the operation, Tok Raja again appeared in the vision of Uncle George to re-assure him that everything would be well. The operation was a success for Uncle George. He attributed to Tok Raja and the power of the special humpback pidta amulet given to him by Tok Raja for saving his life (N.B. Uncle George was so pious and true to Tok Raja as his Arjan that he even wore such amulet when going to bed and for this, he was rewarded!). When he related this incident, the hairs on the arms of Uncle George would always stand on ends! The love and bond between teacher and student are so strong that when the student was in distress, the teacher would always be there to rescue and give a helping hand! teacher would always be there to rescue and give a helping hand!


Hock Lee Bus Strike and Riot In Singapore:


This incident took place on 12 May 1955. On that day, Uncle George was a Volunteer Special Constable ("VSC") on duty in a patrol car. He received a radio instruction from HQ to proceed to Delta Circus because of civil disturbances and to disperse rioters. Unknown to him, the area was the scene of riot by students and Hock Lee bus workers. While there, he and four of his fellow policemen were quickly approached and attacked by a group of hostile students and bus workers on strike. Uncle George and his fellow policemen stood firm on the ground in an attempt to stop and disperse the big group of rioters. These rioters tried to overturn their patrol car but they did all they could to resist. Fortunately, the riot police (popularly known as "Ang Chia Mata") came to their timely rescue as Uncle George had the foresight and calmness before to radio HQ for assistance despite under extreme stress and imminent danger. In fact a detective was killed and set on fire and other policemen were seriously injured while on duty to disperse Hock Lee Bus Riot. The rioters quickly dispersed on seeing the riot police and Uncle George and his fellow policemen were thereby safe and unharmed. If the riot police arrived any seconds later, it would spell disaster and serious injuries or even death for Uncle George and his colleagues as they would be mobbed by angry rioters carrying sticks and other weapons. Till this day, Uncle George attributed their safety to Tok Raja and his special humpback pidta amulet which he wore on duty that day. For his call of duty and bravery, Uncle George was commended by the then Commissioner of Police, Mr. N.G. Morris on 8th August 1955. He was also awarded by the Queen of England for the same act of bravery but unfortunately the Award has been misplaced after all these years. With these 2 Awards, Uncle George had very good testimonial and he easily got a job with the government service and he worked until his full retirement. Uncle George attributes to Tok Raja and his pidta amulets and talismans given to Uncle George for his good luck and fortune. So here we have a good empirical illustration of the need to do good deeds as karma bears immediate fruit and one does not need to wait for until the next life to receive the benefit of karmic fruition!


Police Car Collided Into Uncle George's Car During The Students Riot Curfew:


Sometime on a curfew day in 1955 at about 8 or 9 am, Uncle George was travelling in a car with a young junior lady officer driven by his senior officer the Deputy Commissioner Thomas Koh from the Identity Card Office to go to the airport to investigate a case of forgery of Singapore Identity Card in Malaysia. Their car slowed down at the traffic light of junction in front of Capitol Theater while his senior colleague drove slowly through green traffic light in his favour. All of a sudden, Uncle George saw a Police Land Rover vehicle coming at top speed from his driver's side and it very quickly rammed into the car in which Uncle George was seated with the said two others. The driver of the police vehicle was asleep on the wheel. The impact was so great that the car in which Uncle George travelled in was thrown to nearly the entrance of the famous Magnolia Bar of Capitol Theater and Uncle George's head shot through the windscreen. As for his 2 other colleagues they were injured and left unconsciousness in their wrecked car. Uncle George sustained serious head and left eye injuries. He had to undergo eye surgery to remove shattered glass in his left eye. Luckily, he gained back partial vision after his eye operation. In fact, subsequently in 2012 while Uncle George did his cataract operation, his doctor found and removed a smaller glass splinter still embedded in his left eye after all these years! He and his colleagues are lucky to be alive after the car accident and Uncle George was lucky for not losing his eyesight. He attributes all of these to the protection and blessing given by Tok Raja and his special humpback pidta amulet.


Uncle George Escaped Other Serious Injuries Or Death:


With the onset of old age and by reasons of previous serious neck and head injuries, Uncle George's health has deteriorated and he had to walk around with a walking stick and wear a neck brace for support and protection. He now frequently feels numbness on the sole of his two feet and weakness in his legs. He knew that if he does not exercise by walking, he would finally end up on the wheel chair for mobility. However, if he walks about, there is always the danger of falling because of his condition. He chooses to be independent and not reliant on others or dependent on the wheel chair. As such, he walks about with his walking stick despite such danger and risk. Also, he does not like to keep still preferring to be active to keep his mind alert. So he spent a lot of time outside his home and also at Wat Uttamayanmuni.


In fact, accidents did happen to Uncle George as his legs were weak and he buckled and fell. But always in the past, he miraculously escaped with light scratches of the skin and so far with no fractures of the arms, legs, head or etc. When he fell on the ground or road, there was always no car around to knock him over! In fact as late as in January 2014, he fell face down in the toilet of his home and ended up in hospital for a few days of observation and examination. He only suffered a few minor cuts and abrasions and the X-ray shows no fracture of his skull or neck bone. The close friends around him joked that with Tok Raja around Uncle George, his skull is harder than the floor. Again in February 2014, he unfortunately fell again while walking in National University Hospital, Singapore for a medical appointment and ended up in hospital for more observation and examination. This time, he has no fractures again and was discharged from hospital after three days stay.


Uncle George attributed all these protection to the presence and blessing by Tok Raja and the power of Tok Raja's humpback pidta amulet and other talismans which he wore. Uncle George explained that he can truly feel the presence of Tok Raja around him. Every night and day, he prays to Tok Raja for blessing and protection. It was Uncle George’s wish to live longer than Tok Raja.


Yam Leaves:


Tok Raja taught Phor Than Mitr the technique of using yam leaves and the katha to break and clear spells and black magic cast on one by opposite party who hates or is jealous or wants to destroy the other party. First, the yam leaves were gathered and bundled up with clear water retained inside it. Then, Phor Than Mitr would chant the katha holding Tok Raja's Tongkat on the head of the victim's head while the victim held the bungle of yam leaves to his navel. After the chanting, the bundle of yam leaves was then passed to the victim to go to the washroom to brush all over his naked body (from top to bottom) and including the soles. It was to be brushed on the front of the body and then repeated for the back of the body. When all was done, the bundle of yam leaves would be opened by Phor Than Mitr and the water would be poured into a wash basin to check for the colour and any contents. If the person was indeed charmed or under spell, the colour of the water would change to dark coffee colour or sometimes to like tea colour. Also, there could be small particles, hairs, glass or sands inside the water and occasional even needles.


In one case, Phor Than Mitr did the yam leaves bundle ritual at the request of the wife on her husband (a man of some social stature and wealth) to check whether he was charmed or cursed. The result was that the water inside the yam leaves bundle was coffee colour. However, he disbelieved the ritual and the result. He asked for same ritual to be repeated on him but this time he brought his own water and yam leaves. The result was much worse as the colour was black and there were many particles inside the water. Phor Than Mitr asked him to visit him more often for prayers and blessing and until the ritual produce result of clear water. He did so accordingly until he fully recovered as indicated by the clear water. In appreciation, he later became an ardent supporter and donor of Wat Uttamayanmuni, Singapore. He confessed that his malaise was caused by his philandering with too many women of ill-repute.


Vandalisation & Breaking Of One Naga Finial Of The Bridge Leading To Wat Uttamaram:


Uncle George related an incident of a naughty boy in the village who vandalised and broke off the Naga (Snake/Serpent) finial of the bridge leading to Wat Uttamaram (see Photo Gallery) When this boy returned home, he had high fever and ghoulish dreams and nightmares for his sleep. His fever cannot be brought down by modern medicine. His parents brought him to see Tok Raja for help. This boy was asked by Tok Raja what he did very naughty of late (N.B. Tok Raja through his psychic abilities knew before hand this boy's mischief). The boy denied doing anything naughty and bad but he finally confessed after Tok Raja looked deep into his eyes. Tok Raja then instructed him never to desecrate any religious objects under any circumstances and that his sickness was his direct and divine punishment. Tok Raja told the boy that his pain and suffering were the direct consequences for desecration of religious object and for showing disrespect to divine object. The boy regretted his wrongful behaviour. Tok Raja did some chanting for the boy and sprinkled some holy water on him and he immediately recovered. After this incident, this boy stay far away from the bridge and so did other boys in the village. They would not dare to mess about near the bridge of Wat Uttamaram anymore as they all fear retribution and divine punishment. Tok Raja's words of caution spread fast into the ears of naughty boys and the parents in the village cautioned and instructed their children to behave well and not to be disrespectful!


Boys Stealing Fruits From Temple:


This is yet another incident of bad boys who misbehaved. In Wat Uttamaram, many devotees offered fruits to the Buddha and such boys came to steal them from the Temple. These boys when they returned home they suffered severe stomach pain and cramps and others had bad diarrhea. They could not recover with treatment of medicine. As usual, their parents brought them to see Tok Raja for help. Tok Raja questioned them as to what they did wrong in the Temple as he already knew exactly what wrong they had committed through his psychic abilities. These boys protested their innocence. Tok Raja said they could die without cure and relief if they did not wish to speak the truth. They then buckled and confessed. They told Tok Raja that they were sincerely sorry and they regretted their bad and wrong behaviours and pleaded with Tok Raja to forgive and cure them of their pain and suffering. Tok Raja then did some chanting and sprinkled them with holy water. Soon after, they recovered. Tok Raja told them that they did not have to steal fruits as he would have been given them if they had only asked. Tok Raja's compassion and power were clearly evidenced by this fruit-stealing incident. Words spread of the incident and young and old pay deep respect to Tok Raja. There was always cordial relationship and harmony with the Malay villagers who lived around and near to Wat Uttamaram. This is so even till now.


The Man Who Came To Wat Uttamaram To Steal A Gilt Buddha:


This incident was related by Phor Than Mitr to Uncle George. In the wee hours of one morning, a man came into Wat Uttamaram to steal a gilt Buddha. After stealing, he strangely could not find his way out of the Temple. He was simply lost. By daybreak, he was found walking aimlessly round and round the Temple carrying the Buddha in his arms. Tok Raja found him in a daze and very exhausted. Tok Raja brought him inside the Temple and offered him some food and coffee. Tok Raja kindly asked him why he was carrying the gilt Buddha which belonged to the Temple in his arms. He explained that he was poor and desperate and that he stole the Buddha for sale in order to secure some money to feed his hungry family. Tok Raja instructed him never to steal. He then instructed his assistant to take some money from the donation box to give to this poor and desperate man. He also got his assistant to gather some food to feed his hungry family. The man asked for forgiveness and thanked Tok Raja for the money and food. This incident demonstrates Tok Raja's great compassion and understanding as a Buddhist monk.


Uncle George Giving Massage To Tok Raja:


During monkhood, Uncle George lived with Tok Raja in the same kuti (quarters). One day, he saw Tok Raja was very tired after a long chanting session and giving blessing to many followers. Uncle George thought it was a good idea to massage Tok Raja to reduce his fatigue. He asked Tok Raja for permission to massage him and upon such permission being given, Uncle George proceeded to massage him. Uncle George found that the body and legs of Tok Raja were very hard. He then remarked to Tok Raja, "You are old but the flesh of your body and legs is actually very hard!" As soon as Uncle George made such remark, he discovered that the flesh of Tok Raja's body and legs turned even harder. As a consequence, Uncle George had to use a lot more strength and energy to massage. As a result of great exertion, Uncle George's forehead and body were drenched with perspirations and his fingers got to be very weak and tired. He was so relieved when Tok Raja said that it was getting late in the night and he could stop massaging and to go to sleep.


In the next morning, Uncle George had breakfast with Tok Raja and Phor Than Mitr. During meal break, Tok Raja then told Uncle George smilingly in Malay, "If you wish to massage me, don't make any comment!" This incident relates Tok Raja's sense of dry and quirky humour. It is also his way of instructing his disciples to be mindful of speech and conduct in cultivation in accordance with the Dharma of the Lord Buddha.


The Power Of Tok Raja & His Herbal Oil:


During the aforesaid breakfast, it was raining heavily and water leaked into the breakfast area. Tok Raja told the monks to shift the food and drinks to the dry area. However, Phor Than Mitr was eager to stop the leakage so he got hold of a ladder to try to stop the leak. The floor was slippery and Phor Than Mitr fell and the ladder landed on his head resulting in deep cut on his forehead with blood gushing out. Tok Raja asked Phor Than Mitr to come forward and he touched his bleeding forehead and recited a katha and blew on his head. In no time, the bleeding stopped. Tok Raja applied his concoction of herbal oil on the wound and all went back to finish their breakfast. This incident was witnessed by Uncle George and other monks and people in the Temple at the material time. There was in fact no scar on Phor Than Mitr's forehead after the skin grew over the wound. Apart from treating cuts, the herbal oil was given away by Tok Raja to give relief to muscle aches and pains; to reduce swellings and bruises; and in treating sprains and fractures. Till now, Uncle George still keeps such herbal oil in his home in case of the need to use it!


The Body Of Tok Raja Before Cremation:


The body of Tok Raja was not embalmed after his demise. His body was kept for about 5 years before cremation. On the day of cremation, his body was intact. There was no rot and it was as like he was alive. His skin was not dried, shriveled or crimpled. There was no foul smell. On the contrary, there was faint smell of fragrance. These are all signs of purity and great cultivation by Tok Raja. On the day of cremation, the then Sultan of Kelantan came to light the fire of the funeral pyre. This is a rare royal honour for a Buddhist monk. This shows the deep respect accorded to Tok Raja by the said Sultan. After cremation, the ashes were interned in a chedi (pagoda) for adulation and worship by Tok Raja's followers in Wat Uttamaram and all over (see Photo Gallery).


Shum Circus & Rain:


A travelling circus by the name of "Shum Circus" came to Golok in Kelantan to perform. The operator was lamenting that the heavy and continuous rain had caused him business as people were kept away by the rain. Someone told the operator to visit Tok Raja for help at Wat Uttamaram. He did so accordingly. After he told Tok Raja his problem, Tok Raja asked him whether he had recently received any gift from anybody. He thought about it and answered that that he did receive a small bottle of oil containing two wooden figurines inside. Tok Raja asked him to bring such bottle for him to see. He went back to the Circus to retrieve it and brought it to Tok Raja. Tok Raja examined it and told the operator that the bottle with two figurines in oil were "Rak Yom" which were the cause of his rain problem. Tok Raja instructed Uncle George to dispose the bottle into the canal behind the Temple. As Uncle George was about to throw the bottle into the canal as instructed, he saw the oil bubbling inside as if the oil was boiling. He then threw the bottle into the canal and as it hit the water, there was a "poom" explosive sound. Tok Raja informed the operator of the Circus that his rain problem had been solved. He left the Temple very happily with great hope and expectation. The operator was indeed not disappointed and business was brisk as there was no more rain. He returned to thank Tok Raja and donated $500 which Tok Raja accordingly requested him to place into the donation box. This was big money in the 50’s!


The English Soldier:


Chao Kuan (a famous lay “Bomoh” master and disciple of Tok Raja but now deceased) related an incident to Uncle George and WT Woon in 2009. The incident was about a senior English soldier’s visit to Tok Raja after the Japanese Occupation. He came because he was curious as he heard that Tok Raja was a good and pure Buddhist Thai monk and that he made powerful and effective talismans for Malaysian soldiers and underground resistant forces who fought against the Japanese. In fact for the period before, during and after the Japanese Occupation, Tok Raja was most active in making humpback pidta amulets and Phra Yant and Chert Yant talismans to give protection to his followers who were Malaysian soldiers and underground resistant forces.


When the English soldier met Tok Raja, he talked about Tok Raja's amulets and talismans and he enquired whether it was indeed true that they give protection against bullets and knives. Tok Raja smiled and he took out a Chert Yant to show to the English soldier. The Chert Yant was in the form of shirt with yantra and holy Khom characters handwritten by Tok Raja. It is normally given to soldiers engaged in war to give them protection. Tok Raja invited the English soldier to use his pistol to shoot at the Chert Yant at point blank. The English soldier was happy to test shoot the Chert Yant. He drew his pistol and pumped a few shots at the Chert Yant at point blank. The result was most spectacular as none of the bullets hit the Chert Yant! The English soldier shook his head in amazement and politely sought a Chert Yant as gift from Tok Raja! He was granted.


Uncle George Was Arrested By Police In Kelantan:


In about 1956, Uncle George travelled to Kelantan for an investigation of forged Singapore Identity Card and he took the opportunity to visit Tok Raja. He stopped at the coffee shop at Pasir Mas Railway Station for a break to drink coffee and eat roti prata before taking a taxi to Wat Uttamaram. After his coffee and meal, a policeman approached Uncle George and asked in Malay whether Uncle George knew it was a Muslim fasting month. Uncle George answered yes in fluent Malay. The policeman asked Uncle George to follow him to the Police Station which he so obediently. When at the Police Station, Uncle George saw the OCPD (i.e. Officer-in-Command) of the Police Station whom he knew before as Uncle George was involved in police work and investigation. He greeted Uncle George in Malay and Uncle George exchanged pleasantry in perfect Malay. He then enquired why Uncle George was in the Police Station. Uncle George explained that his junior policeman required him to follow the junior policeman to the Police Station and so Uncle George did so accordingly. The junior policeman was then asked by the OCPD why he did that. He explained that Uncle George was caught drinking coffee and eating roti prata while fasting as a Muslim. The OCPD told his junior policeman that Uncle George is not a Malay and not even a Muslim and that he had made a wrong arrest. The junior policeman replied that he thought Uncle George was a Malay and a Muslim because Uncle George spoke so fluent Malay like a Kelantanese; he had dark complexion; he was wearing traditional batik shirt; and he was eating roti prata from a popular Muslim food place. The OCPD instructed his junior policeman that he should first ask for Uncle George's Identity Card to verify the necessary information before making an arrest. Uncle George explained that he followed the junior thinking he was required for the investigation of forged Singapore Identity Card. Uncle George was then released and he went to visit Tok Raja. He related to Tok Raja about the arrest. Tok Raja laughed and with his sense of humour, Tok Raja said that even his humpback pidta amulet could not save Uncle George from arrest!


Tok Raja's Diet & Eating Habit & His Love For Animals:


Tok Raja was not a vegetarian. He ate whatever was offered to him for dhana (lay person's offering food to Buddhist monk). He never picked and chose. He always appreciated the kind gesture of the food offered to him. He ate gratefully and was very mindful that lay persons labored to make offerings. He taught his monks that Buddhist monks must not take things for granted and they must work hard to merit and justify the food offered to them. They must work very hard to serve the lay community and to do so, they must first cultivate and excel in chanting and meditation and other practices.


For Theravada Buddhism, it is not a requirement that Buddhist monks and laity must be vegatarian. Many Buddhist monks become Arahats despite their non-vegetarian diets and their bodies are not decomposed after their demise. In Southern Thailand, there are many holy and miraculous examples - the bodies of Phortan Klai of Wat Suankan and Phortan Kring of Wat Thalungthong are not decomposed after so many years of their demise and the body and robe of Phortan Keow of Wat Rongbon remain intact after cremation. Further, in Lopburi, the body and robe of Luangpu Maung (the former Chief Abbot of Wat Thebkoonjorn and the Chief Abbot of Saraburi and Lopburi Provinces) were seen by all to be unburnt during hours of cremation as his disciples prayed for their Master to show his presence and miraculous powers. The disciples were subsequently shocked and stunned. Luangpu Maung's body was only cremated after the disciples requested him "to go" as it was their Master's wish to be cremated and not be placed in a glass coffin for adoration. The Prince came on behalf of the King of Thailand to light the funeral pyre of Luangpu Maung. In essence, these Thai monks show that purity could be attained by mind cultivation and not necessarily by mouth cultivation (vegetarian). It is like the wondrous Mad Monk Ji Gong! Thai monks must eat whatever they were offered and therefore they cannot follow a strict vegetarian diet.


As for beverage, Tok Raja drank black coffee without sugar. He also chewed betel nuts and leaves. As such, these are some of the items now used as offerings to Tok Raja when one seeks for his blessings and for wishes to come true.Tok Raja also loved cats and dogs and he too saw to their welfare. The animals like to crowd around and be touched by Tok Raja as if to receive his blessings. This also shows that Tok Raja has immense Metta.


Uncle George's Youngest Brother Charlie Neo Peck Soon:


Uncle George gave his youngest brother Charlie Neo Peck Soon a rian (medal) and a humpback pidta amulet which were given by Tok Raja. While riding a bicycle, his brother was involved in an accident in which he was knocked down by a car and thrown far away. The bicycle was smashed completely beyond repair but he was not killed. He only sustained minor cuts to his leg and hands. He attributed Tok Raja for saving his life. Also, there was another incident involving his brother Charlie Neo. This time he was working as a security guard sometime around 1975 and he was discharging his duty by carrying bags of money notes accompanied by his office cashier to deposit them into the bank. On the way, he was stopped by armed robber and his eyes were thrown with pepper. He screamed for assistance. The cashier ran away for safety. During the commotion, the robber snatched his bags of money and took off without firing. He believed he was yet again protected by Tok Raja.


Tok Raja Made Takruts For Homes, Shops & Offices:


Tok Raja often made slightly bigger size Takruts for the homes, shops and offices of his disciples. He would present them when they had new homes, shops and offices or when his disciples requested from him. These Takruts were about the size of cigar and handwritten by Tok Raja on copper sheets with yantra and holy Khom characters. After writing on such sheets, Tok Raja would chant and rolled them up like a scroll. He would recite more prayers on such Takruts before giving away. The Takruts were written and chanted by Tok Raja to protect the disciples' homes, shops and offices particularly against black magic; to give good luck and fortune; and to prevent theft and fire. Uncle George gave one of such Takruts for his sister's home in Kuala Lumpur. One day she found the door of her house was pried open and ajar but nothing was stolen or taken. However, it was not so fortunate for her neighbours as their homes were broken into and with things and money stolen.


Tok Raja Made Takrut For Spiritual Cleansing & Holy Bath:


Tok Raja did make Takrut for spiritual cleansing and holy bath. He used copper sheet to write yantra and holy Khom characters on them. As usual, he would do chanting and prayers before and after rolling up the copper sheet Takrut. He would instruct that such Takrut be placed in a container, bottle or vessel with fresh water to make holy water. As and when the need for spiritual cleansing or holy bath arises, the water immersed with such Takrut could be used directly or if necessary, be mixed with other fresh water to create larger quantity of holy water. This was Tok Raja genius idea to ensure that holy water was always made available at home anytime for washing or bathing when one is feeling unwell or returning home after a wake or funeral. The holy water was to dispel and remove negative energy; to stop evil forces; and for general well being.


Holy Water Of Tok Raja:


Tok Raja instructed Uncle George that when the holy water he chanted and gave to Uncle George ran low, Uncle George was to add more water to the remaining holy water and mix them. Accordingly, there would always be holy water of Tok Raja even after the demise of Tok Raja if Uncle George monitored and managed it well (see Photo Gallery for the holy water of Tok Raja). Tok Raja also gave Uncle George a special Takrut which he specially inscribed for Uncle George to make holy water. Tok Raja instructed Uncle George to place this Takrut into a vessel containing water and the holy water would be created once the Takrut came into contact with water. This Takrut can be seen in the Photo Gallery. These 2 matters recounted by Uncle George are clear proof of Tok Raja's ingenuity to ensure that the needs of his disciples and their family members and friends are to be catered for well after his demise. This is also proof of his deep compassion for them and his constant caring and looking after their welfare.


Names Of Other Buddhist Monks Ordained By Tok Raja:


Many people claim to be disciples of Tok Raja. Uncle George recalled that the following Buddhist monks were ordained by Tok Raja:


1. Phor Than Thit of Wat Macchimaram, Tumpat, Kelantan;

2. Phor Than Uwan of Wat Semerak Phraphutthak, Pasir Puteh, Kelantan and

3. The late Phor Than Hwa of Wat Phothivihan, Tumpat, Kelantan.


The above names were also confirmed by Phra Kru Phian Saccavaro, the Chief Abbot of Wat Uttamayanmuni, Singapore. However, it is to be noted that the names are not exhaustive. Buddhist monks who were ordained by Tok Raja as Upacha (i.e. Preceptor) would strictly be termed as disciples. Of course, those who “Wai Kru” (Paying respect to Teacher) for the purpose of learning sacred chantings, incantations, yantras and holy Khom characters and made traditional offerings to Tok Raja could also be regarded as his disciples.


It is laughable and ridiculous that many lay persons who were not even born or were merely babies at the end of the lifetime of Tok Raja unashamedly claim to be Tok Raja’s disciples for obvious commercial, deception and ego reasons. Beware! One must therefore be careful and not to believe what people say without substantiation. One needs to make the necessary assessment so as not to be swindled or fooled.


A Man Became Very Rich After Receiving And Wearing Tok Raja's Humpback Pidta:


Uncle George's recollection would be incomplete without him relating a story of a poor devout Buddhist who became very rich after receiving and wearing a Tok Raja's humpback pidta. Uncle George will not mention the name of this man because he wishes to be anonymous. This man was always very hardworking but at all material time before, he could not make his ends meet. Even in very desperate and hard times, he never prayed for or wished for wealth or luck. For many years, all he wanted was to do the things he liked to do most and to share joy and what he had with others. After the man received a Tok Raja's amulet from a Thai friend, he immediately wore it as he had heard a lot about Tok Raja and he particularly liked the shape and style of Tok Raja's humpback pidta. The luck of this man quickly changed for him. He successfully concluded a deal that made for him many millions! Till this day, he remains humble despite his wealth. He retired from his works so that he could serve the Buddha fully and continue with his passion to help others. This man gives generously to benefit education and to support Buddhist temples and art (particularly in the making of powerful amulets and talismans with good art styles and forms). He strongly believes that only through a good education one can then get out of poverty and that with a strong faith and strict religious practice one can lead a meaningful life.

bottom of page